Based in China
September 29th, 2016
Axe, Bow and Staff is a pixel art hybrid combining runner-sidescroller mechanics with RPG elements and zany multiplayer gameplay. Inspired by games like Lost Vikings, Adventure Island, Cadilacs and Dinosaurs and Captain Commando, etc, Axe, Bow and Staff evokes the nostalgia of the favorite games of your youth: updated with faster graphics, multi-player replayablilty, and goofy gameplay that's easy to learn but many times harder to master!
I got this idea from my dream. I dreamed of a fantastic scene in where I played three heroes running forward. It was a such refreshing feeling so when I woke up, I decided to realize it. I started from the concept of the heroes. Who are they? What world are they living in? How is the mood of the story? These questions took me some while to think about before I started prototyping. It took me two weeks to finish the first prototype. Until then, I had the answer to my most worried question: it could be a fun game! Then I spent a lot of time optimizing the controls which I think is the most important part of the design. It was really hard to reproduce the feeling of the dream game with only the gameplay. I needed someone to share my vision, and to create it in aesthetic way. That was when Bo came into the team. I found Bo's pixel art online and was immediately grabbed by his vivid style. In the first sight I thought his style would perfectly match the game. And I was right. As Bo got involved in the development, he recommmended some chiptune composers to me. Kazuhiko Naruse a.k.a. naruto was one of them. He is specialized in NES chiptunes and we decided to use his work right after we heard his sample track. So, my refreshing idea, Bo's bright colors, and naruto's cheerful tune, make up such a harmonic game. For me it's a dream team for a "dream" game.
- Rockin' pixel art and cheerful chiptunes with original sound track
- 30+ hand-crafted levels with tons of challenge and fun
- Producerally generated level -- can someone say "multiple playthroughs"? How about "more bang for your buck"?
- 20+ skill upgrades and 70+ items enable you to customize and enhance your heroes;
- Single Player, Local Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer.
- Racing Mode that aims to bring in the fun of Mario Kart series.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IndieAce GameBooth" GDC China 2015
- "Intel Buzz Workshop" Shanghai 2015
- "Indie Prize" Europe 2016
- "If you are disappointed by running games, you should check out Axe Bow and Staff. It deserves a go."
- Eric Lin, Haogamers.com
- "It has a very interesting approach to gameplay that is worth trying out."
- Alexandru Chirila, Softpedia
- "It has an exceptionally fascinating way to deal with amusement play that merits experimenting with."
- wasif ali, fullygames4pc
- "Needless to say, the puzzly action gets pretty frenetic."
- Rogan Louwrens, IGN.com
- "It's rare to see a retro-style game done so right."
- Scythe Plays, Youtuber
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Clewcat Games allows for the contents of Axe Bow and Staff to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Axe Bow and Staff is legally & explicitly allowed by Clewcat Games. This permission can be found in writing at http://press.clewcat.com/sheet.php?p=axe_bow_staff.
Help get us on Steam: steamcommunity.com.
About Clewcat Games
A husband-and-wife game studio living in Beijing, China. Nicolas The Coder loves music, football, cycling, and everything about video games. Vivian The Painter loves literature, history, cooking, planting, flowers...almost everything! And of course we both LOVE cats!
More information on Clewcat Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Axe Bow and Staff Credits